Sunday, April 13, 2008

Green options for your cup

On Sundays, one of my favorite ways to pass the time before the newest Rock of Love episode is to stroll the isles of the nearby Target for things I don't really need. Today the adventure was for a case of Dr. Pepper.

I know — there is nothing organic about high fructose corn syrup. So I also decided to consider healthy beverage to maybe, at least, make me break even in eco karma points.

On the coffee isle, the budget brand Archer Farms offers organic options including a fair trade harvest blend that sits along side a traditional non-organic breakfast blend. Just add a spoonful of organic cane sugar and some organic milk from Wild Oats Market.

Then I moved on to browse the juice isle, where everything any juice conusor could want was within a arms reach. Market Pantry cranberry. Ocean Spray ruby red grapefruit. Welch's grape. Yet nothing organic, nothing all-natural.

Next I moved onto Archer Farms' selections of organic tea. Blueberry, green jasmine and sangria selections on sale for $5.94 (retails regularly for $6.99).

That's about all Target had to offer.

But alas, I decided to buy that case of Dr. Pepper because sometimes you just need an unhealthy dose of high fructose corn syrup. It went well with my fattening potato chips.

And I felt bad about it an hour later. So I decided to Google some organic drink options that I can explore next time I get the urge for anything other than refreshingly bad-for-you Dr. Pepper.

Here are three things I'd be willing to buy:
  • Blue Sky Organic Soda: In appealing flavors like lemon lime and root beer, Blue Sky says its sodas have "no artificial color or flavors, no preservatives and, of course, no caffeine."
  • Shift Organic Energy Drink: It's marketed as a drink that "provides real nutrition and sustainable energy, to help keep you going all day long." Shift is 99% fat-free, with 200 calories per 10-ounce serving, and comes in berry boost, power punch and strawberry banana, so that sounds better than a Slim Fast for sure.
  • Square One Vodka: Square One Vodka is an eco-chic beverage from 100% American rye. It boosts itself as one of the first alcohols certified by the United States Department of Agriculture. At least you can feel good about your eco contributions while you're getting trashed.
But none have the Vegan Vixens like Steaz Organic Energy.



Unfortunately, they don't make me want to try that one.

Until next time, happy eating.

No comments: